2019 Travel Dates
• The Tumbuna Highlands Show •
May 7 – May 19, 2019
(12 Nights) • Scheduled to be escorted by Greg Stathakis
This is an excursion for those who don’t usually take group “tours”, but would like to have a genuine travel experience with a caring Papua New Guinea expert. Your trip includes an escort from P.N.G., as well as one from overseas, both whom will enhance your trip with information about culture, artifacts, anthropology, and best photo opportunities. The trip also includes not only the Tumbuna Show, a cultural festival, with sensory overload for even the most experienced traveler, but also an optional post trip extension for the Sydney Vivid Festival.
Do you prefer an itinerary other than the May 2019 Tumbuna Show?
Call or email for more information on a trip which best meets your needs. You’ll appreciate our care and expertise in providing you with excellent service for Papua New Guinea itineraries any time of year.
• TUE, MAY 8 – Arrive at the Four Points Sheraton, Brisbane, Australia. Arrival transfer and meals not included. Join in getting to know our fellow travelers and benefit from our orientation to maximize your P.N.G. experience.
• WED, MAY 9 – Transfer included from hotel to Brisbane airport for flight to Port Moresby where you’ll immediately sense this is to be a very different travel experience. Time permitting, enjoy an overview of the highlights of the nation’s capital. Learn about what makes Papua New Guinea such an unusual travel destination as you dine and have drinks with our friend(s) who have lived in this country for decades. (D) Airways Hotel, the best in town.
• THUR, MAY 10 – The flight to Mt. Hagen takes us to the area where “outsiders” entered only in 1930’s, yet, we have modern comforts while learning much about Highlands culture. The Mt. Hagen open air market bursts with colorful activity, a sensory overload of sights and sounds, a photographer’s paradise. There will be candid discussions and interactions with the local tribespeople and perhaps a visit to a school. Learn about the fascinating juxtaposition of a frontier town amidst a strong, traditional culture. Lodge at Rondon Ridge with evening discussion and reception with wine or beer. (B,L,D)
• FRI, SAT, SUN, MAY 11, 12, 13 – Charter transfer from Mt. Hagen to Timbunke. Visit villages to learn how the Sepik River area differs from P.N.G. Highlands culture. Photographic opportunities and insights about river culture abound. This is the area Papua New Guinea is justly famous for – The Sepik River region. See seldom visited Spirit houses, a wide array of arts and crafts, and a life style little changed by modern times. Our insights will enhance your understanding of these villages “at the end of the world.” Three nights based from the all inclusive, air-conditioned “Sepik Spirit.” (BLD).
• MON, TUES, WED, MAY 14, 15, 16 – Charter flight to Tari where at 7,000 feet, the air is brisk and conducive to travel. Fewer outsiders have traveled to this colorful, unspoiled area. Famous for Huli Wig Men, the Tari area will provide memorable photos and recollections. Mingle with tribes who are among the most un-Westernized anywhere. See the strange and exciting juxtaposition of ancient, traditional ways as they’re grafted to the 21st century. Nature walks are amidst spectacular scenery, with rain forest, waterfalls, mountain vistas, and perhaps elusive Birds of Paradise in the wild, all in a truly Shangri-La setting. Authentic, unscripted interaction with the local people differentiates our trip from other P.N.G. trips. Discussions and written information are provided daily. All meals and excursions are included at Ambua Lodge.
• THUR, MAY 17 – Charter flight to Mt. Hagen and an excursion to an area of cultural interest. Authentic interaction with local people is what differentiates our trips from other P.N.G. trips. Also, walk through a few stores downtown for some flavor of this frontier town. The anticipation builds for what has been called one of the 12 travel wonders of the world. Though there are other shows in P.N.G. to excite the senses, the Tumbuna Show is a perhaps the most traditional, with easy access for close ups at this “wow” experience. Rondon Ridge Hotel. (BLD)
• FRI, MAY 18 – An exciting day at the Tumbuna Sing Sing Festival. This thrilling medley of Pow Wow and dance competition exhausts your energy and camera batteries. See how carefully the feather headdresses are prepared; watch as tribes gather and don their body adornments. The sights and sounds excite even the most jaded travelers. To know more what makes our Show excursions successful, inquire about references from previous trips. Rondon Ridge Hotel. (BLD)
• SAT, MAY 19 – Flight from Mt. Hagen to Port Moresby. We know how to make the most of your PNG experience. A local epert on the arts and crafts will guide us through the National Museum Parliamint, the National Botanical Garden, and other places often bypassed by other visitors. There’s a lot more to see in Port Moresby(safely) than is generally acknowledged. Airways Hotel (BLD)
• SUN, MAY, 20 – Hopefully you will join those who since 1980 say this travel experience is one of the most memorable in a lifetime of journeys. Transfer to the airport for international connections to either Brisbane, Cairns, Sydney, Bali, or Manila. (B)
Land Package Price: $9,200.00 per person (twin share) all inclusive of meals, as shown, accommodation, transfers, touring. Inquire about the single supplement or partial share rates.
Cost as of June 23, 2018. Should there be fewer than ten fellow travelers, a $300 per person supplement applies.
All Gratuities included.
Additional cost for flights and charters (subject to change) within Papua New Guinea: $2,500.00.
Please consult with us before purchasing international tickets into and out of Port Moresby.
EXCITING POST TRIP, OPTIONAL EXTENSION:
Top your colorful excursion to PNG by joining Greg on May 21. Bask in the awe of Sydney Vivid, a light show with music celebration of fun, a perfect finale to our trip Down Under. Enjoy an extravaganza of colorful lighting on many of Sydney’s iconic buildings. It’s innocent, free, outdoors, and awesome for all ages. You too will join those who say “I love Australia!” Read what one fellow traveler wrote about Sydney Vivid:
” Our vacation ending with the Light Show in Sydney was spectacular and beautifully done, far exceeding our expectations, and a wonderful way to end our PNG / Australia experience.”
Greg will be in Sydney to share “pro bono” favorite excursions with you around the city, visiting places and people with a P.N.G. background, to buildings of architectural interest, and to a favorite few reasonably priced ethnic and seafood restaurants. Choose and book whichever hotel you prefer, use your frequent guest reward stays or inquire about our special rates at the Sheraton on the Park. The only cost for the day trips involve one’s cab or ferry fare, meals, and your accommodation. For the last six years, our fellow travelers have very much appreciated this value/ enhancement of our P.N.G trip.
Personalized Papua New Guinea travel experiences is what we specialize in. Behind the scene insights, interactions with Papua New Guineans and attentiveness to your needs before, during and after the trip are rarely found in the travel business. Value added benefits of booking with New Guinea Travel:
• Substantive information regarding all aspects of your itinerary, with insights about the culture, ways to save money on flights, airline upgrades, dining options, and photography.
• Assistance in selecting, buying and shipping artifacts from Papua New Guinea.
• The comfort of having your P.N.G. questions and concerns answered promptly before, during and after your trip, usually within a few minutes or hours.
• An archive of information from over 34 years for your special interests about birds, books, artifacts, anthropology, and documentaries.
• Old fashioned, attentive service to maximize your comfort, safety and enjoyment of P.N.G.
• Enjoy a more carefree trip as all gratuities are included.
• Full days of adventure, with special guest speakers, people to people interaction in remote villages, and unscripted, impromptu events.
• You will learn about quirky, controversial aspects of P.N.G. and Australia.
• Benefit from our relationships with Papua New Guineans, their schools, their parents and grandparents from over 36 years travel there.
• New Guinea Travel booking is the mantel for philanthropy. All net proceeds go to non-profits or charitable causes.
• Although we do not sell international air or travel insurance, our decades of experience can save you money and help ensure peace of mind.
• Having an international escort can provide invaluable help and make a big difference in your trip.
• We are forthright about stating our trip is not for worriers, complainers, divas, or the litigious. Travel with like-minded people who often become future travel companions.
INTERNATIONAL AIR TO AND FROM PAPUA NEW GUINEA IS ADDITIONAL: Use frequent flyer miles or purchase air tickets through the airline or agent of your choice. Airlines and air travel consolidators can advise on pre and post trips in the South Pacific, trip/cancellation insurance, and can save you money and hassle in your travel plans. Please, please honor your investment in a PNG excursion by obtaining trip/cancellation insurance and by having a minimum of two or three nights in Australia, New Zealand or Singapore on a stopover to recover from jet lag.
RESERVATIONS: Space is limited to 16 clients and prompt reservations are strongly advised. A $1,000 per person deposit by check payable to New Guinea Travel and a signed booking form are required before reservations are confirmed. Final payment must be received no later than February 1, 2019 for the Tumbuna Show itinerary. Payment is by check only; sorry that credit card payments are not available. Booking form is available at: http://www.pngtravel.com/PDF/Booking.pdf
CHANGES, MODIFICATIONS AND CANCELLATIONS: Space is limited to 15 clients and prompt reservations are strongly advised. A $1,000 per person deposit payable to New Guinea Travel and a signed booking form are required before reservations are confirmed. Final payment must be received no later than February 1, 2019. Credit card payments are unavailable, as payment is by check only.
INSURANCE: It is very strongly recommended clients purchase an all-inclusive travel insurance for luggage, medical expenses, and trip cancellation. This will help ensure a more carefree vacation, as unexpected and last minute cancellations are surprisingly frequent. In recent years there have been many more unexpected cancellations. No deviations from the cancellation policies are allowed. See: http://www.insuremytrip.com